History of the Cottage
The House and Cottage date from approxiamatley
1812. Records indicate that this is the second oldest house in
Summerville. Summerville was begun as a summer retreat for plantation
owners. The land in Summerville was a Pine Barren and relatively
free of the insect borne diseases that plagued the more swampy
areas along the Ashley and Cooper Rivers. The House is typical
of the early houses being built several feet off the ground with
high ceilings and many windows.
The current occupants are only the
sixth owners, with several of the previous owners being closely
related. The Prices have owned the property since 1974 and during
that period the house and cottage have been restored and updated
to extremely high standards. The restoration of the cottage received
the Preservation Award of the Summerville Preservation Society.
We want our guests to enjoy this property as much as we do.